top of page
  • Writer's pictureCWBC

Do I need to issue a party wall notice?

If you are planning to carry out building work that affects a shared wall or boundary with your neighbour, you may be required to issue a party wall notice. A party wall is a wall or structure that is shared by two or more properties, and a party wall notice is a formal notification that advises your neighbours of your intention to carry out work that may affect the party wall.

The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 sets out the legal requirements for issuing a party wall notice and applies to all work that falls within the scope of the Act. This includes work such as building an extension, cutting into a party wall, or carrying out foundation work.

If you are planning to carry out work that may affect a party wall, it is important to determine whether you are required to issue a party wall notice. Failure to do so could result in delays to your project and may even lead to legal action being taken against you.

To issue a party wall notice, you will need to complete a party wall notice form, which can be obtained from your local authority or a chartered surveyor. The form will require you to provide details of the work you are planning to carry out, as well as the proposed start and completion dates.

Once you have completed the form, you will need to serve it to your neighbours at least two months before the proposed start date of the work. Your neighbours will then have 14 days to respond to the notice and either agree to the work or dispute it. If the work is disputed, you may need to appoint a party wall surveyor to resolve the dispute and agree on the terms of the work.

Overall, whether you need to issue a party wall notice will depend on the specific work you are planning to carry out and the terms of the Party Wall etc. Act 1996. It is important to carefully review the Act and to seek advice from a chartered surveyor if you are unsure of your obligations. By following the correct procedures, you can avoid delays and disputes with your neighbours and ensure that your building work proceeds smoothly.

CWBC can help navigate the often complex procedures and ensure that you are undertaking the correct steps to follow the legislation. CWBC help protect the interests of both the building owner and the adjoining owner. Get in contact now!


bottom of page